Doctorate of Education – EdD
1. Complete the online application
- Spring application deadline: November 30
- Summer application deadline: April 30
- Fall application deadline: July 30
Notification of admission is sent after a review of the application and supporting materials. Please contact email@example.com with your questions about application process and getting started in the program.
2. Submit official transcripts.
Transcripts for Southwestern College graduates are on file. All other students should arrange for submission of official transcripts of all prior college/university coursework. Applicants must hold a recognized baccalaureate degree with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher .
You can order transcripts from prior college/university coursework online via the National Student Clearinghouse secure site: www.getmytranscript.com.
3. Secure three confidential letters of recommendation.
Email the link below to your three references and ask them to complete the online recommendation form for graduate programs. Ensure that at least one recommendation is from a current or former employer or professor:
4. Present a Statement of Purpose by following these guidelines.
5. Submit your current resume.
6. Provide an Academic Writing Sample.
This may be something from your master’s program. If you have not completed a master’s program, provide a writing example from work or a senior thesis/project.
7. Submit a current teaching license - if you are pursuing the PK-12 track.
8. International Students.
All international learners must show evidence of their English language ability by providing the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) report. A score of 550 (paper test) or 213 (computer-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is considered the minimum acceptable for admission to this program.
Applicants who hold bachelor’s degrees from a U.S. institution or from an institution in another English-only speaking country will receive a waiver of the TOEFL. Applicants who are from native English-speaking countries are not required to take the TOEFL.
A candidate’s file must be complete before an admissions decision may be made. It is the responsibility of each candidate to provide all of the information requested above. Candidates will receive an email stating their admission to their graduate program; subsequently they may enroll in their first class.
The following information outlines the intent and to an extent the parameters associated with the employer commitment form.
1) Given that doctoral work is intensive, the program committee wanted the employer to know that an employee wanted to be enrolled in a doctoral program.
2) Some classes will have field based projects. The form is purposeful in establishing the opportunity to request permission from the employer to conduct the field-based projects within the place of employment.
3) The form enables an information stream so the employer may request the doctoral student to conduct a project within the district or school that contributes directly to doctoral studies and field project(s).
4) The form does not stipulate release or reassigned time from the contractual arrangements between the employee and employer.
5) The form does not obligate the employer for reassigned time or release time.
Thus, the commitment form establishes a process of communication between the employer and the employee about his/her interest in doctoral studies to ensure that work related expectations are not hindered by doctoral studies as an unintended consequence, and that when possible the doctoral work can facilitate the needs of both the employer and the employee.
Within the program, each aspirant to the doctorate will need a mentor. If the applicant to the doctoral program already has obtained district level licensure, a mentor form is not required.
Doctoral students have the option of on-campus housing for the 12 day summer sessions.
The doctor of education program requires original research as part of the degree. To learn more about the expectations of the dissertation associated with this degree, click the following link.