The Southwestern Online Writing Center (OWC) is a free student service for SC Professional Studies students which provides one-on-one writing consultation with a Faculty Writing Consultant for guidance in developing writing skills and/or feedback on an assignment. The SC OWC’s goal is to provide writing guidance and support to help learners become stronger and more confident academic writers.
- One-on-one, web-based consultations available Tuesday thru Saturday (30 min sessions)
- Guidance at any stage in the writing process, including: invention, pre-writing, early draft, or secondary revisions
- 24/7 access to additional writing resources, including tutorials and exercises
- Create an account – All Professional Studies learners and affiliate faculty members may access the Southwestern College Online Writing Center through Blackboard.
- Book an appointment – Once you are logged in, select an available time in the scheduling window.
- Submit your document – Upload your writing at least 24 hours before your appointment through the appointment window
- Attend your consultation – Meet your consultant via web conference to receive actionable feedback to develop your writing skills
SC OnlineWriting Center FAQs
Why should I request an online consultation?
Academic writing, like all professional writing, is purposeful communication. One-on-one consultation with a faculty writing mentor holds the potential to meet the learner at his/her present writing level to:
- gain clarity in the rudiments of purposeful academic writing structure
- identify the individual writer’s respective strengths and weaknesses
- develop skills in revision and editing of one’s own writing efforts
- become a more confident academic and professional writer
What kind of writing might one seek help with?
Come to the consultation to receive guidance at any stage in the writing process for help with any type of writing and/or writing-related issue, across the curriculum, with the single stipulation that one must submit a writing prior to the consult. This serves as a place to start and facilitates the consultant’s preparation ahead of the meeting.
Do the consultants provide editing services?
Consultants will guide the learner to gain clarity on writing concepts and strategies including grammar, punctuation, and sentence construction. The Writing Center does NOT provide editing services. One might consider editing websites such as Grammarly.com for the opportunity to submit a writing assignment and receive immediate feedback.
What can I expect from a 30-minute virtual consultation?
In a typical consultation, the learner can expect to receive answers to writing-related concerns. The consultant may also recommend goals for the session and/or provide guidance in meeting assignment requirements. Depending on the learner’s individual needs and/or the specific assignment instructions, the consultant might guide the conversation in the direction of:
- brainstorming and narrowing to a topic
- thesis development
- essay structure and development
- topic sentences and paragraph development
- prewriting and organizational strategies
- audience identification
- understanding and effectively using APA manuscript style and documentation
- avoiding plagiarism
- revision and editing
- addressing specific grammar and sentence-level issues