Undergraduate FAQ | Southwestern College Professional Studies

Bachelor and Master Degrees from Southwestern College - Professional Studies

Fall Session 1 classes begin August 13 Apply Today!

Call Now 1.888.684.5335 or Email Us

Undergraduate FAQ

Undergraduate FAQ

Is Southwestern College accredited?

Yes, Southwestern College and the Professional Studies’ programs (both on ground and online) are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. www.ncahlc.org  phone (312) 263-0456.  

Degree programs and licenses in Education are regionally-accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Kansas Department of Education.

Our RN-BSN program is accredited by the Comission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Coomission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530,  Washintgon DC 20036  phone 202-887-6791  www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation

How many credits will I need to finish my degree?

To graduate from Southwestern College with a bachelor’s degree, you must complete at least 124 credit hours, with at least 60 of those hours from a four-year institution and 30 from Southwestern College.  

How long will it take me to complete my degree?

That depends on a lot of factors, including how many hours you transfer into Southwestern College and whether your work and family obligations allow you to take courses without long breaks. You may take one or two courses each session, and our advisors will help you make out a class schedule that will work for you. If you transfer in 60 credit hours and take one course each session without sitting out, you would complete your degree in a little over 2 years.

Can I combine on-ground and online courses?

Absolutely! Many of our learners combine classroom courses with online courses, sometimes even in the same session.

What’s the difference between the degree I’ll earn at Southwestern College Professional Studies, and the degree students earn at traditional campus in  Winfield?

There’s no difference. You’ll earn a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree, just like traditional students in Winfield.. The only difference is in the way you go to class. Instead of semester-long classes which meet a couple of times a week, your classes will be online (so you complete them at the times most convenient for you). The classes themselves will be only six weeks long so they will be focused and intense. The difference between professional studies and a traditional campus isn’t what you learn, it’s how you learn. The degree is exactly the same.

My employer will reimburse me for some of my classes. Can I wait to pay my tuition until I’m reimbursed?

Sure. We can work out a deferred payment plan as long as arrangements have been made ahead of time.

How long does it take to get started on my degree at Southwestern College Professional Studies?

You can start classes every six weeks. We give learners eight weeks to get all transcripts from previous colleges to us; you can begin your classes even before they come in.

Everything you need to get started can be found on our Web site. Simply fill out and submit the Application for Admission, complete the Authorization for Repayment Agreement, then give us a call or send an e-mail and we will walk you through the first enrollment. If you need financial aid, we can help you with that application too.

If you prefer, you may come to one of our centers and meet with a program representative, and all of the paperwork can be completed at this time.

How many of the credit hours I’ve already earned at other colleges will transfer to Southwestern College?

We do our best to make all of your past college work for you. If your transfer hours come from an institution in good standing with an accreditation organization that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, earned at least a grade of "C" or better in college-level coursework,  they will be accepted for transfer. Southwestern College will take up to 64 credits in transfer.  After official copies of your transfer credits have been received from the colleges where you accumulated them, one of our advisors will help you determine exactly how many more hours you’ll need.

Is there an application fee?

Yes, there is an application fee. $25 for Undergraduate. Review all fees here: http://ps.sckans.edu/tuition-and-fees

What is the average amount of financial aid received by students of Southwestern College Professional Studies?

The average amount of aid awarded for undergraduate Professional Studies learners who have applied for Federal financial aid is $7,960 per year, based on the 2013-2014 award year. For more information on financial aid, please email finaid@sckans.edu.

How much is the tuition for the program?

The tuition rate depends on different variables (military member, course + class?) you can view all tuition costs and fees here: http://ps.sckans.edu/tuition-and-fees

How many classes can I take at a time?

Undergraduate learners are limited to two undergraduate classes per six-week session. If you would like to take an “overload” then you must contact your Academic Success Coach to request approval. The Director of Learner Support and Academic Success reviews all class overload requests.

How do I enroll for classes?

Southwestern College offers two avenues for enrolling in classes. Your first semester, you will work with your admissions representative and coach to identify the appropriate courses.  After your first session, you may enroll online through Self Service.

I think I have finished or am close to finishing all my course requirements, how do I get my degree?

Learners should verify with their advisor to ensure they are done with all their course and graduation requirements. To receive your degree, each learner must submit an application for degree in advance of the deadline to their advisor. Degrees are conferred 3 times per year, May, August, and December with commencement ceremonies in May. Learners may or may not participate in Commencement at their discretion.

Will my degree look different than a traditional learner’s degree? Will anyone know if I took my classes online or on ground?

Professional Studies degrees look the same as all other degrees conferred by Southwestern College. It will not indicate when or how you took classes.

Click the image to enlarge.

The actual size of a Southwestern College diploma is 8 1/2 × 11.

What is the difference between a semester and a session?

Below is a breakdown of what makes up an academic year, each semester, and then where sessions fall into that.

What social networking opportunities are available for me to connect with Southwestern College Professional Studies?

Currently we are on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube. Feel free to like us/follow us and stay up with the latest news!

How many learners take classes online at Southwestern College Professional Studies?

In 2013, we had over 2,200 learners take online courses with us.

Can I get college credit for my work experience?

The knowledge, skills and experience you have gained throughout your career (e.g., attending workshops, seminars, classes, and through self-study) may be eligible for academic credit toward your bachelor’s degree through a Prior Learning Credit Portfolio process. Preparation of a portfolio requires learners to articulate how their prior learning activities equate to college-level learning. The average credit award for portfolios is 15 semester hours, with some portfolios generating more credit hours and some generating fewer credit hours. For more information, please contact your Academic Success Coach or ask an Admissions Counselor when you apply to Southwestern.

How will Southwestern College Professional Studies’ affiliation with the United Methodist Church affect my experience in the classroom?

At Southwestern College, you can feel free to discuss and explore religious questions while you are taking classes with us. We offer courses that allow you to explore the beliefs of the United Methodist Church, other protestant denominations and the Christian faith. We also offer courses in additional world religions. Degrees and certificates in religious studies such as bachelor’s degrees in Pastoral Studies and Youth Ministry and master’s degrees in Specialized Ministries and Theological Studies are also part of Southwestern College Professional Studies program.