The following self assessment is provided to help learners determine if they possess the technical skills needed to succeed in an online course.
1. Can you start up, shut down and reboot a computer?
2. Can you start and quit a program?
3. Can you save and retrieve files to and from the hard drive, CD, or external drive (jump drive)?
4. Can you open and close menus and windows?
5. Can you create folders?
6. Can you navigate a directory structure to find files?
7. Can you rename files?
8. Can you delete files?
9. Can you create a word processing document?
10. Can you use spell and grammar checking to revise your work?
11. Can you log on to the Internet?
12. Do you know how to retrieve and delete e-mail messages?
13. Can you create, send, forward, and reply to e-mail messages?
14. Can you send group mailings?
15. Do you know how to post messages to discussion lists?
16. Can you use a WWW search engine?
17. Can you use talk or chat features for synchronous communication?
18. Can you reconfigure your web browser with plug-ins such as Real Audio?
It is recommended that you take additional coursework that will help you improve your basic computer and Internet skills before enrolling in a online course.
You are encouraged to communicate with your advisor prior to enrolling to see if a skills improvement course would contribute to your success in the class.