Military FAQ | Southwestern College Professional Studies

Bachelor and Master Degrees from Southwestern College - Professional Studies

Fall Session 1 classes begin August 13 Apply Today!

Call Now 1.888.684.5335 or Email Us

Military FAQ

Military FAQ

Will Southwestern College accept my transcripts from the other colleges I have attended?

Southwestern College accepts transfer credit hours from other regionally accredited educational institutions.

Do I get any college credit for my time in the military?

Yes, Southwestern College will accept in transfer military credits earned through CCAF and JST. Your advisor will be able to answer specific questions.

Do I get a military discount?


Southwestern College offers a per credit hour discount for military learners. Military learners include: Active Duty, active duty spouses, Reserve, Guard, and DoD civilians.

What is the first step if I want to use Tuition Assistance?

All service members eligible must coordinate with education advisors or ESOs or counselor within their military service PRIOR to enrolling to obtain approval for TA.

Does Tuition Assistance cover my undergraduate class?

Yes, we keep our rates at the $250 per credit hour cap.

Does Tuition Assistance (TA) cover books?

No, tuition assistance does not cover the cost of textbooks. Tuition assistance covers tuition.

How much do books cost?

The cost of books varies and there is no one specific amount per book per class. A good estimate is $100 per book. Sometimes it can be a bit more. Others it is less.

Tuition Assistance pays for my class when I have finished it and turned in my grades. Do I have to pay for the class up front?

No, Southwestern College works with learners to avoid financial hardship by waiting for reimbursement until the class is complete.

I want to use my VA/GI Bill® benefits (e.g., Chapter 31, Top-Up) to pay for my class. Is there someone on staff who can help me with this?

Yes, we have a staff member who is trained to assist learners using VA/GI Bill® benefits and to certify the courses on behalf of the school. Call: 1-888-684-5335 or e-mail for more information.

Can I apply for Financial Aid as well as using my Tuition Assistance benefits? How does that process work?

Yes, you are able to apply for Financial Aid (Pell or Loans) and use your Tuition Assistance. They are two separate programs. You would continue to follow tuition assistance procedures and the process for receiving Financial Aid.

If I am deployed on short notice am I still charged the full tuition for the session?

If you are deployed on short notice and are unable to finish your session, there are a variety of options to explore. It is important that you talk to your advisor to understand the options and how they will impact your unique situation.

I have to submit my grades when I finish my class, how do I get them?

All learners are given access to the Self Service. Use your learner ID & password to login, then go to my grades to view your final grades. For assistance, contact your advisor.

Where can I take classes?

Southwestern College offers classes online or on ground. This allows the military learner flexibility as shift schedules change or if TDY’s or deployments arise. On ground classes are offered at multiple locations.

Can I finish my degree completely online?

Yes, learners have the option to complete their degree online. There are no on ground course requirements.

How many classes can I take at a time?

Learners are limited to two undergraduate classes or one graduate class per six-week session. If you would like to take an “overload” then you must contact your Academic Success Coach to request approval. The Director of Learner Support and Academic Success reviews all class overload requests.

How do I enroll for classes?

Southwestern College offers two avenues for enrolling in classes. You may see your advisor or you may enroll online through Self Service.

I think I have finished or am close to finishing all my course requirements, how do I get my degree?

Learners should verify with their advisor to ensure they are done with all their course and graduation requirements. To receive your degree, each learner must submit an application for degree in advance of the deadline to their advisor. Degrees are conferred 3 times per year, May, August, and December with commencement ceremonies in May. Learners may or may not participate in Commencement at their discretion.

I am going TDY/Deploying, can I still take classes?

Online classes are open to all learners including those going TDY and to learners deploying.

I am TDY/Deployed, how do I get my books?

You can find out more information about ordering books here:

I have been notified that I will PCS soon. Can I still take classes?

Learners located at distant locations can finish their degree by taking online classes.

If I have to go to the field in the middle of a session will my instructors work with me?

Southwestern College prides itself on flexibility. Usually, most instructors are more than happy to work through your situation as long as you make them aware of it BEFORE hand.

If I get deployed and can’t take classes, can I pick up where I left off in my program?

You are able to sit out a session or sessions and can pick back up in your program. Please contact your advisor to help you re-work your degree plan.

Do I have to use the portal to enroll if I am using TA?

Army learners using Tuition Assistance must enroll through the GoArmyEd portal. All other military learners should enroll through Self Service.

How do I enroll in GoArmy Ed?

Follow the instructions listed on the portal. You must fill out your common application and enroll through the portal. Your advisor can help you determine which classes in the portal you should take.

Is Southwestern College accredited?

Southwestern College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association.

Will my degree look different than a traditional learner’s degree? Will anyone know if I took my classes online or on ground?

Professional Studies degrees look the same as all other degrees conferred by Southwestern College. It will not indicate when or how you took classes.

Click the image to enlarge.

The actual size of a Southwestern College diploma is 8 1/2 × 11.

What is the difference between a semester and a session?

Below is a breakdown of what makes up an academic year, each semester, and then where sessions fall into that.

What social networking opportunities are available for me to connect with Southwestern College Professional Studies?

Currently we are on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Feel free to like us/follow us and stay up with the latest news!

How many learners take classes online at Southwestern College Professional Studies?

In 2011, we had just over 1,100 learners take online courses with us.

How will Southwestern College Professional Studies’ affiliation with the United Methodist Church affect my experience in the classroom?

Contrary to many public university settings, at Southwestern College you can feel free to discuss and explore religious questions while taking classes with us. We offer courses that allow you to explore the Methodist religion specifically, as well as courses that allow you to explore religion in more universal terms. We even offer entire degrees and certificates in religious studies such as bachelor’s degrees in Pastoral Studies and Youth Ministry and master’s degrees in Specialized Ministries and Theological Studies.